Reflection


I was the sales coordinator of an established buffet catering company. Buffet orders sent through the general sales email will be distributed to the sales coordinators to follow up with the customer and to take in their orders. A pharmaceutical company had sent in their order and I was assigned to it, so I followed up with the customer diligently. After rounds of liaising with the customer, the order was keyed in and confirmed.

Two sets of food got delivered to the customer as a double order and because I keyed into the system later, it was deemed as my fault and I had to pay the cost for that order. As a result, I had to deduct about a $100+ which is at least 20 orders’ worth of commission, from my gross salary. In addition, coffee session with the head of sales in his office.

Turns out the customer was a regular of my colleague, Janet (name changed). It is always big news whenever someone in the sales department needs to pay out of their own pocket for wrong orders or double orders. So, news had quickly spread within the department and Janet came to my table and sarcastically said “ate (‘sister’ in Tagalog), next time check ah, don’t take other people customer,” and walked away.

I was in shock and became speechless. Was I just accused of poaching customers? I wished that the sales and catering system could be designed better to avoid these unnecessary problems, but she walked off before I could explain myself. My working relationship with Janet had been strained ever since.

Comments

  1. Hi Jin,

    Thank you for sharing your encounter. I can relate to you as i was also involved in office politics before. It was unfortunate that you have to fork out money from your own pocket. That feeling sucks. I also agree with you that a system should be put in place so that such errors can be minimise. Regarding the strained relationship with Janet, perhaps you can explain to her and clear the misunderstanding over a meal .

    Everyone make mistakes but most importantly, we can learn from it.

    See you around in school!

    Warm Regards,
    Samuel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jin ,

    Thank you for sharing your workplace interpersonal communication issue in a clear and concise manner! Although i have not been placed in such a situation before, if i were to be the one experiencing it, i would be shock and speechless too.

    I agree with you that their sales and catering system should be improved to avoid unnecessary internal conflict or a strain in relationships. My recommendation for approaching this topic other than the improving the system would be to voice it out to your direct manager regarding the whole situation as you were just doing your own job.

    In addition, regarding your situation with Janet, i agree with Samuel that maybe you could talk things out with her to ease the tension between the two of you.

    I hope my recommendations would be able to help you when you encounter such situations in the future!

    With Regards,
    Yun Yue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jin,
    I was working as a travel consultant previously and double booking from different agent are very common. How I countered this issue was to speak to my team and come up with a solution together as this was a persisting issue. We came to a solution where we will always start transaction with the question 'Do you have an existing booking?' Because our phone call was recorded, if the client were to blame us, we have solid evidence that we have done our part. By asking minute question such as this, we remind client to check their existing booking/order as well as ensuring that if there was a double booking/order, we are not to be blamed.

    Teamwork makes the dream work!
    Warm Regards,
    Michelle Tan

    ReplyDelete
  4. We would think the most effective method to this conflict is to initiate a friendly confrontation.
    Firstly we have to approach this with an open mind and do not be defensive.
    Next lay out and acknowledge the problem at hand. Come to the same page on the issue at hand.
    Explore the concerns the other party may have.
    Lastly, agree upon the situation. In this case, agree that it is a miscommunication that happened and no harm was intended.

    Yours sincerely,
    Wei Xian
    Farhan
    Wayne enterprises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wei Xian and Farhan

      Thank you for your valuable insights. I agree that both parties have to agree that there was a miscommunication in the first place.

      I would have ideally used Thomas-Kilmann's compromising technique and find a middle ground where both her and I can agree that the system was not easy to work with and explore both our concerns. From there we can move on by finding solutions to avoid the same mistakes, like what Michelle has mentioned in the above comment.

      Regards,
      Jin


      Delete
  5. Thanks, Jin, for posting this interesting scenario.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts